Saturday, January 5, 2008

Don't Leave Home Without These Travel Aids

When I simply, positively have to, I fly to my embarkation port for a cruise. Usually that means that I'm flying solo. However, even when my husband accompanies me, conversation often wanes after we've made the decision that there's time enough for lunch in TGI Fridays rather than catching a quick bite at Burger King.

After listening to more than enough of CNN Airport News or when boredom sets in during a flight, an iPod becomes my indispensable companion. Both in the terminal and on the plane, the only thing that makes it more valuable is a set of Bose noise-canceling headphones (from Magellan's Catalog). With those, I can escape for hours in the company of Elvis, Aaron Neville, or any one of my other chosen artists. For a time, I can relive the sounds of my favorite movies, my youth, or get in a cruising mood with Jimmy Buffet. Crying babies don't intrude; neither do chatty seat-mates. They simply don't exist in the tranquility of my private world.

It isn't that I'm anti-social. It's just that I enjoy my space--something that is difficult to find these days in crowded airports and on fully booked flights. Try an iPod escape on your next trip. You'll thank me.

No comments: