Friday, September 5, 2008

Goodbye, My Prince

You could say I fell for Prince Albert II in a big way this week.

After a speedy embarkation last Monday in Fort Lauderdale, we were aboard Prince Albert II and excited about our upcoming cruise. Mel and I dropped off our carry-on after getting our key card, had a look at our accommodations, and set out to explore what was to be our home for the next two weeks. Unfortunately, about ten minutes into our walk-about, I tripped and fell. It wasn't an ordinary fall. Mel managed to get me back to our stateroom where Silversea staff members took over--a wheelchair was produced and the ship's doctor whisked me off to his office for x-rays. My leg was broken just above the ankle.

Luckily, it was the small leg bone, we were still in port, and there was shoreside medical care available. It was decided that our best course of action was to go to Broward General Hospital to get my ankle stabilized, check into a hotel for the night, and fly home on Tuesday.

Due to the exploration nature of the cruise, we decided I simply wouldn't be able to participate in any activities and, thus, we decided not to meet the ship in Belize and complete the journey as suggested. It was a huge disappointment, but the crew aboard Prince Albert II was splendid and I learned first-hand how caring and efficient they are in an emergency. I must also commend the folks at Delta who met me curbside at the airport with a wheelchair and took charge of getting me through security and onto the plane.

For the next six weeks I'll be "cruising" around on crutches and dreaming of my fair prince. We'll meet again someday.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my first time on your site. I had a similar adventure two years ago in Puerto Vallerta at the top of a mountain. Broke my ankle; had to have surgery in Mexico; spent five days in a hospital there; then, another surgery upon arrival at home. You have my sympathy. I spent seven weeks in bed with my foot propped on three pillows. I had to have a lot of help. Hope you are able to get around more than that.

Linda Coffman, AKA Cruise Diva said...

Hi Joyce,

I really appreciate your concern and understanding. While it's not easy, I have been somewhat mobile with a transport chair here in the house. The most difficult part is scooting up and down stairs on my bottom :)

Thanks for your comment!

Best, Linda

herb said...

My first stop on your blog and my condolences on missing out on such a wonderful cruise!

PS: Remember a post is nothing without a picture! If only you had included a photo of your "scooting" act...

Linda Coffman, AKA Cruise Diva said...

Thanks, Herb! Your comment has brightened my afternoon, but there will be no scooting photos. When I'm out of this cast I want no memories. I'm sure Joyce would agree with me on that point :)

herb said...

Life's trials have a way of showing us how blessed we are! I'm sure once you've regained your full mobility you will enjoy cruising even more (if that's still possible).