Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ships That Go Bump in Key West

Oops. At least one Carnival Cruise Lines captain will have some 'splaining to do after two of Carnival's "Fun Ships" had a fender-bender in Key West, Florida yesterday.

Thankfully no one was injured in the incident and the damage was minor to each ship's stern after Carnival Fantasy hit her near-twin Fantasy-class fleetmate Carnival Imagination while the former vessel was docking in Key West. As a routine measure in their investigation into the accident, the United States Coast Guard performed alcohol and drug tests on key personnel aboard both ships.

Carnival Imagination (pictured above) had just begun a 7-night cruise from Miami, Florida and Carnival Fantasy will return to homeport in Charleston, South Carolina on Friday. The collision isn't expected to effect either ship's schedule.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a long ship. How can the ship's captain, properly called the ship's master, on the front end of the ship be expected to know what is going on at at the back end. I'm sure there is a union to come to his rescue. I know several lines have bridge to bridge communication between company ships. If I was maneuvering in close quarters, especially that close, I should think I would be talking to the other fellow. Maybe not.

Anonymous said...

I need to to thank you for this great read!! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it.
I have got you book marked to look at new stuff you post…
Feel free to surf my web blog :: flowers