Adding a touch of glamour to the naming ceremony that will launch Princess Cruises' Royal Princess, British singer-songwriter Natasha Bedingfield will perform at the June 13 naming ceremony of the new ship in Southampton. The globally acclaimed artist will make a special appearance at the celebration, where Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge will officially name the ship.
Ever since her Brit Award and Grammy-nominated multi-platinum solo debut album "Unwritten" in 2004, the British-born Bedingfield has been one of the world's most inspiring and innovative contemporary female singer-songwriters at the top of the charts. With three albums under her belt, she is known for her powerfully soulful voice and heartfelt and contagious pop anthems. Bedingfield's radio hits include songs such as "Unwritten," "Pocket Full of Sunshine," "Love Like This" and "These Words," and her music can also be heard in numerous movies and television shows.
"We're excited to have Natasha Bedingfield lend her voice to this special occasion," said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises executive vice president. "Her music will add a wonderful contemporary touch to the time-honored elements of the traditional naming ceremony."
In addition to Bedingfield's performance, the Royal Princess inaugural ceremony will feature many British ship-naming traditions, including a blessing of the vessel, and a performance by The Band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines Portsmouth (Royal Band) and the pipers of the Irish Guards. The pinnacle of the ceremony will be when the ship's godmother, The Duchess of Cambridge, breaks the champagne bottle on the bow of the ship.
The ceremony will be the highlight of week-long inaugural celebrations to welcome the vessel into service. Royal Princess will arrive at the Ocean Terminal in Southampton on Friday, June 7 and will depart on her maiden voyage on June 16.
The 3,600-passenger Royal Princess is a new-generation ship. Among the special features found on board will be a greatly expanded atrium, the social hub of the ship; an over-water SeaWalk, a top-deck glass-bottomed walkway extending 28 feet beyond the edge of the ship; plush private poolside cabanas that appear to be floating on water; the new Princess Live! television studio; the largest pastry shop at sea; a special Chef's Table Lumiere, a private dining experience that surrounds diners in a curtain of light; and balconies on all outside staterooms. After her maiden voyage the ship will sail Grand Mediterranean cruises throughout the summer, followed by Eastern Caribbean cruises beginning in the autumn.
Find more Royal Princess details, images, and videos on Cruise Diva's blog at:
• Princess Cruises Newest Ship Will Be A Royal
• Royal Princess: Expanded Atrium, New Features
• Royal Princess Introduces Updated Amenities and A New Balcony Stateroom Category
• Princess Cruises Raises the Curtain on New Royal Princess Entertainment Venue
• The Ultimate In Relaxation Coming Aboard Royal Princess
• Princess Cruises Shares A Look At New Royal Princess Fitness Facilities
• Princess Cruises Takes Dining To The Next Level With New Royal Princess
• Princess Cruises Unveils Posh Royal Princess Sanctuary & Retreat Pool With New Features
• Junior Cruisers Have A Lot to Look forward to In New Royal Princess Youth & Teen Centers
• Things You Might Not Know About Royal Princess
• The Duchess of Cambridge to Name Royal Princess
Photo Courtesy of Princess Cruises