Part of the Regent Choice Shore Excursion program, these new Gourmet Explorer Tours are designed for guests seeking unique, one-of-a-kind epicurean adventures ashore to complement the unrivaled culinary experiences found on board, which are highlighted by an array of exquisite gourmet restaurants and the hands-on Culinary Arts Kitchen.
This new collection of Gourmet Explorer Tours will enhance and expand upon the curriculum offered at the Culinary Arts Kitchen aboard the ship by providing adventures that allow guests to explore the destination and local culture through its epicurean offerings. To mirror the superb guest service found aboard the ship, each Gourmet Explorer Tour will be accompanied by the chef instructor from the Culinary Arts Kitchen and a local guide, often a chef, with intimate knowledge of the region’s agriculture, wine and cuisine, to add an extra layer of authenticity to this immersive culinary experience.
“Our Gourmet Explorer Tours were specifically designed to match the unrivaled level of guest experience found on board Seven Seas Explorer,” said Jason Montague, president and chief operating officer for Regent Seven Seas Cruises. “We have created an unbelievable collection of culinary-inspired tours where our guests can partake in true once-in-a-lifetime epicurean experiences. Our tours were expertly crafted to provide our guests with unique opportunities to dine at a highly coveted and world-renowned Michelin-starred restaurant, visit iconic markets and palatial vineyard estate homes, and learn from some of Europe’s premier chefs with personalized, hands-on instruction.”
Each Gourmet Explorer Tour was handcrafted by the line’s Executive Director of Culinary Enrichment, Chef Kathryn Kelly. In preparing the tours, Kelly partnered with a vast network of Michelin-starred chefs and local culinary experts to bring Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ guests the finest array of culinary experiences available for each destination. The resulting tours are both luxurious in nature and distinctly authentic to the region’s culinary heritage.
In total, 22 Gourmet Explorer Tours have been developed for Seven Seas Explorer’s upcoming Mediterranean season, with several ultra-premium experiences that are simply unavailable to anyone except guests sailing on Seven Seas Explorer. A few these ultra-exclusive Gourmet Explorer Tours include:
· Sorrento, Italy – Become immersed in the unique cuisine of Campagnia by making cheese at the artisanal fromagerie, watching a culinary demonstration by a master chef, and wining and dining amid the luxury gardens of the stunning Don Alfonso.“We are creating something truly special and sure to be enjoyed by both die-hard foodies and peripheral fans of the culinary arts,” said Kelly. “With our Gourmet Explorer Tours we have an incredibly diverse array of options for our guests, ranging from the crème-de-la-crème of luxury with our day in Saint Tropez to a more casual farm-to-table experience in Greece. I cannot wait to begin!”
· Monte Carlo, Monaco – Wine tasting at Cave Bianchi in Nice followed by dinner at the famed La Chèvre d’Or restaurant highlight a special night out with fellow foodies. Guests gain an appreciation for local and traditionally-inspired dishes hand-selected for the evening affair.
· Saint Tropez, France – Bask in an evening of ultimate gourmand indulgence on the luxurious French Riviera. Taste three Provence varietals at the famed La Croix winery, and then enjoy a gourmet dining experience at the renowned La Vague d’Or, a Michelin 3-star restaurant in the heart of Saint Tropez.
· Barcelona, Spain – Enjoy the gloriously rich Catalan culinary scene with guided strolls through the famed Boqueria and Santa Caterina markets, followed by an unforgettable lunch and kitchen tour from Chef Jordi Cruz at ABaC, a famed 2-star Michelin restaurant.
· Corfu, Greece – Guests receive a shopping assignment and gather produce, cheeses and specialties at Old Town’s Corfiot Market. Sample gelato, local wine, fresh-baked bread and the traditional “bourdetto” stew before returning to the Culinary Arts Kitchen for a Greek cooking class.
· Palamos, Spain – For an intimate look at this beguiling region, guests enjoy a tasting at an artisanal olive oil producer before enjoying a cooking demonstration and 7-course tasting menu luncheon in the magical, stone-walled village of Madremanya.
· Taormina, Sicily – Guests visit the renowned fish and produce market in Catania, learn to make delicious cannolis from a pastry master, and enjoy lunch and a cooking demonstration at a famed Taormina restaurant specializing in slow food.
· Livorno, Italy – Enjoy a truly authentic food and wine experience in the Tuscan countryside, with a cooking demonstration and sumptuous lunch–with wines–at Villa Dianella. Guests have time to wander through the stalls at Il Mercato Centrale and marvel at artisanal cheeses and meats, fresh fish, seasonal produce, and breads.
Whether shopping for preserved lemons in the Central Market of Casablanca or immersed in an artisanal olive oil tasting in Catalonia, Spain, each tour provides an intimate behind-the-scenes glimpse into the world’s most captivating cuisines. Many of the tours include personalized instruction back on board at one of the 18 individual cooking stations in the Culinary Arts Kitchen.
Regent Seven Seas Cruises is the only line to offer free unlimited shore excursions in every port-of-call in every destination. For intrepid guests who wish to delve deeper into a region’s culture and history, Gourmet Explorer Tours are offered at as part of Regent Choice Shore Excursion packages. Gourmet Explorer Tours are available starting at a nominal $79 per person and ranging up to $799 per person.
Images Courtesy of Regent Seven Seas Cruises