"Exploring at sea level in the company of qualified guides and experts is a great way for guests to experience Alaska intimately, and we're pleased to offer many incredible and exclusive opportunities aboard Seabourn Sojourn over the season ahead," said Richard Meadows, president of Seabourn. "With the goal of providing the utmost enrichment for guests, each optional shore excursion and Ventures by Seabourn offering will present an authentic view of Alaska with guidance from experts in the field. Even travelers who have sailed in Alaska before will find something new to experience with Seabourn."
A variety of shore excursions will be available at ports and destinations along the way, including dog sledding, floatplane trips, wildlife viewing, and fishing for some of Alaska's abundant supply of salmon. Ventures by Seabourn is another optional for-charge program offering an informative and exhilarating way for guests to enhance the cruise experience through excursions guided by knowledgeable and articulate teams of scientists, scholars, and naturalists.
There will be a wealth of shore excursions and Ventures by Seabourn offered during the 2017 season of Seabourn Sojourn in Alaska. Highlights for the 2017 season ahead include:
Featured Shore Excursions
• Exclusive St. Lazaria Wildlife Cruise & Lunch at Dove Island Lodge (Sitka): Exclusively developed for Seabourn, guests will indulge in world-class bird- and wildlife-watching on a catamaran excursion to St. Lazaria National Wildlife. A heated cabin offers a comfortable boat ride to the summer home of thousands of seabirds from tufted puffins to rhinoceros auklets nesting on sheer volcanic cliffs surrounded by waters swimming with whales and sea otters.
• Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter (Juneau): Guests will have a ride to remember with the oldest operating dog sled tour company, following a flightseeing tour of Mendenhall Glacier. Professional mushers will help guests drive the team or let them relax in the sled amid awe-inspiring scenery. Guests will get to talk with the mushers and snap photos with the dogs before returning to the luxurious comforts of the ship from this authentic Alaskan experience.
• Alaska Fishing & Wilderness Dining (Ketchikan): Glide into breathtaking scenery aboard an open-air skiff and cast a line for the main dish of a gourmet campfire meal. After fishing, a wilderness campsite welcomes guests with a crackling fire surrounded by ancient cedar and spruce. The freshly caught seafood from the day will be served atop a saffron-infused, bouillabaisse-inspired stew with side dishes to satisfy Alaska-sized appetites.
• Burro Creek Waterfall Retreat & Crab Boil (Haines): Nestled along the mystical coastline of Lynn Canal—America's longest and deepest fjord—the Burro Creek Lodge Waterfall retreat beckons with breathtaking waterfalls, viewpoints, and an elegant off-the-grid wilderness dining experience. Following a boat transfer, guests can come face-to-face with Burro Creek's most spectacular waterfall or join the onsite naturalist for a moderate hike to more along a 1,400-foot pipeline that feeds the Lodge's hydroelectric system.
Featured Ventures by Seabourn
• Rudyerd Bay (Misty Fjords National Park): Misty Fjords inspired explorer, John Muir, proclaimed the national park among the most beautiful places he had ever seen. The Zodiac and flight adventure offers the chance to see remote parts of Misty Fjords at sea level, complete with the spray of the waterfalls. A short flight from the Misty Fjords showcases the best of this 2 million-acre national treasure, while naturalist/qualified Zodiac drivers lead each boat.
• Davidson Glacier Hike (Haines): A Zodiac ride from Letnikof Cove to Glacier Point leads to a guided hike through the temperate Alaskan rainforest, with the Ventures team and specialist local guides interpreting an incredible variety of fauna and flora. Upon reaching the base of Davidson Glacier, guides will help guests gear up with helmet, crampons, and more to step out onto the glacier.
• Kayak Exploration of Holgate Fjord (Holgate Glacier): Paddle along in a double kayak and discover the wildlife-rich environment of Holgate Fjord, amid backdrops of dramatic waterfalls, ice and glaciers. A Ventures kayak guide will lead this Alaskan experience with a Zodiac following just behind to enrich the experience.
• Scenic Cruising of Tracy Arm & Endicott Arm (Sawyer Glacier/Endicott Arm): Legendary scenery, abundant wildlife and boundless beauty await via Zodiac through Tracy Arm to Sawyer Glacier. Waterfalls and wildlife—including birdlife, mountain goats, sea lions and harbor seals—are everywhere, and the Zodiac allows guests to get in close proximity to view face of the glacier.
Seabourn Sojourn's season in Alaska launches with the 11-day Ultimate Alaskan Sojourn, departing from Vancouver, B.C., on Jun. 1, 2017.
Image Courtesy Seabourn