Become an educated travel insurance consumer with the following tips from InsureMyTrip.com, the leading online travel insurance comparison site:
- Compare, Compare, Compare: Shop around to get the best plan for your needs at the right price. InsureMyTrip.com offers side-by-side comparisons of policies and prices to help you make smart purchasing decisions quickly and easily.
- Plan Ahead: Trip Cancellation Package Policies offer the broadest protection, including coverage for trip cancellation, interruption, baggage and travel delay, as well as medical and emergency evacuation. To receive the most benefit from the travel insurance policy including financial default and terrorism protection as well as coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, the majority of the policies require that you purchase your policy within 10 to 30 days of your First Trip Payment.
- Buy From a Third Party: Typically, if you purchase travel insurance directly through a travel supplier such as an airline, cruise line, or tour operator, you cannot protect yourself if that travel supplier goes bankrupt or becomes financially insolvent, so it is always best to purchase your travel insurance protection from a third-party source.
- Understand the Details: Travel insurance coverage and premiums vary from policy to policy so it's important to know exactly how your plan works and the protection it provides. Work with one of our unbiased insurance specialists to help select the right policy for you and review the coverage details together.
- Keep Your Receipts: In the event you ever have to file a claim, keep your receipts for everything from pre-paid non-refundable trip costs insured under your policy to doctor's notes, as well as any receipts incurred from a travel delay such as meals, hotel accommodations, and transportation to/from the airport.
- Don't Forget to Call: Whether you simply need one question answered or would like step-by-step assistance selecting the best travel insurance policy for your needs, InsureMyTrip.com's expert Customer Care team can help. Visit InsureMyTrip.com or call (800) 487-4722 to speak with a licensed travel insurance representative, Monday through Friday 7am to midnight, Saturday 9am to 6pm and Sunday 11am to 6pm ET.
Today's Caravan stop is The Tranquilo Traveler, where Joshua Berman is giving away a copy of Moon Belize, accompanied with personal travel advice from the author about your trip.
At tomorrow's stop, CiaoBambino.com Amie O'Shaughnessy & Kristi Marcelle are offering the winner a Napa Valley Getaway (One-night stay at the Westin Verasa in Napa, California, plus gourmet lunch for two on the Napa Valley Wine Train).