Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Holland America Assists Charities

Like many frequent travelers, I have a stash of miniature toiletries at home. Despite my husband's eye-rolling and admonitions that "you don't need that," those little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion have a way of ending up in my tote bag. I really don't need the products, but have rationalized that they come in handy now that only 3-ounce bottles of liquids and gels are allowed on airplanes. After reading about a Holland America initiative today, I'm going to do something else with my stash...

Holland America Line and the Port of Seattle announced the formation of "Ship to Shelter"--an innovative new community-giving program that is the first of its kind in the nation. Holland America will collect valuable and reusable goods from their ships sailing from Seattle this summer, and donate them to Seattle area charities serving people in need. The Port of Seattle, partnering with United States Customs and Border Protection, Cruise Terminals of America, and Northwest Harvest, will work with Seattle-based Holland America to donate items from the ships weekly and the goods will be distributed to shelters and homeless programs throughout Washington State. In addition to the weekly donations of individual-sized toiletries, Holland America Line will periodically provide items such as towels, linens, dishes, cookware, silverware, televisions and mattresses.

I'm going to do the same and urge all my readers to do so as well. My local community outreach program is Golden Harvest. What's yours?

No comments: