Sunday, April 13, 2008

Warning to Men: What Not To Pack For Your Cruise

In a recent email, Frank DeVault related an unfortunate packing experience:
I packed a Swiss Army knife on my last cruise.

My bags were held up in ships security for 4 hours, all the while I was frantically running around wondering where my bag was. Of course, the crew kept saying that it was not unusual for a bag not arrive with the other bags.

Finally the purser located it in security and asked me to go down into the bowels of the ship where the X-Ray machine was located. I arrived to find the bag with a large pieces of masking tape across it with the words KNIFE written on it. I was asked to open the bag and show them the knife. Well, when I pulled out the extremely dangerous Swiss Army knife (carried mainly for its corkscrew) everyone looked away in embarrassment and sputtered apologies. I was told not to carry it around on board, which I hadn't planned on doing anyway.

Of course, it was a great story at the dinner table to break the ice. Criminally, I carried it to the table to show off the offending KNIFE.
I've heard of cruise lines setting aside luggage that contained the ever-popular "smuggled" liquor, but never a simple Swiss Army knife. While Frank was able to take it in stride, and even make lighthearted comments to his dinner companions, the experience was unpleasant.

It ruined my embarkation activities while I searched for my bag. The cruise line should have informed me that there was a problem with my bag via a telephone message, note in the stateroom mail slot, or something.
I agree. If there's a question about the contents of a passenger's suitcase, they should be contacted and informed immediately. One of the items on Cruise Diva's Packing List For Men was a Swiss Army knife. My husband has carried one for years, so it's something that I just naturally assumed many other men would want to have with them. I've removed it from the Packing List For Men. Sadly, that's another blow to personal freedom in these days of heightened security.

Thank you for sharing, Frank! It's tips like yours that make life (and travel) easier for everyone. I might add that you can still pack a corkscrew in checked luggage and even small scissors will pass muster in a carry-on.

No comments: