Now that they're down to 247 days until launch, here's one of the new spaces on Carnival Magic that will have sports junkies jumping for joy. It's SportsSquare. Taking Carnival's popular outdoor recreation areas to an entirely new level, SportsSquare will feature the cruise industry's first ropes course where thrill-seeking guests can traverse across nets suspended above Spa Deck 12 and offering spectacular views to the sea nearly 150 feet below. Surrounded by an eighth-mile jogging track, the expansive SportsSquare complex also includes the first outdoor weightlifting area on a cruise ship, along with Carnival's first two-level miniature golf course, a Vita exercise course, a lighted multi-purpose court for basketball, volleyball and soccer, along with ping pong and foosball tables. A full bar with a large flat-screen display is available for those who just want to relax and check out the sports action in the area or on TV.
Carnival Magic's other top-deck amenities include the splash-tastic WaterWorks aqua park (above) that will offer even more thrills with an exhilarating "Twister" spiral water slide, as well as the new Aqua Play splash park designed for youngsters and their families, featuring a gigantic, 500-gallon "dump bucket" and a host of other wet 'n wild features. Resort-style pool areas offer the perfect venue for catching rays or some Zs, although adults might want to head for the Serenity area for more peace and quiet.
In addition to the new features Carnival Cruise Lines has unveiled, Carnival Magic will also have a variety of signature "Fun Ship" elements, including:
• Expansive Family-Friendly Spaces: The ultimate family vacation, Carnival Magic offers more than 19,000 square feet of space catering to kids and families, including dedicated spaces for children (Camp Carnival), 'tweens (Circle "C") and teens (Club O2), with organized activities and enthusiastic counselors for each group.
• Serenity: The ideal space for some adult-only "me" time, Serenity offers comfortable chaise lounges and chairs, hammocks, colorful umbrellas and two jumbo-sized whirlpools, along with full bar service specializing in frothy, icy concoctions.
• Cloud 9 Spa: Guests in the mood for a workout or some personal pampering can visit this stunning and sophisticated facility. At the Cloud 9 Spa, troubles melt away as guests soak in the soothing thalassotherapy pool, unwind in the elaborate thermal suite or just take in the elegant, serene surroundings.
• Stateroom Innovations: With 1,845 staterooms, Carnival Magic offers a wide array of accommodation types, including two-bathroom/five-berth cabins and connecting staterooms that hold particular appeal to families; cove balcony cabins closer to the water line; and spa staterooms providing special access and benefits.
• Food, Glorious Food: Whether its authentic delicacies from India and China, a full-service meal in an elegant, two-level dining room, a late-night slice of pizza, an exquisite meal in a classic American steakhouse, or just a burger by the pool, Carnival Magic offers a tantalizing array of international cuisines sure to satisfy every palate.
• Dazzling Entertainment: From a laugh-out-loud Punchliner Comedy Club, live bands along the promenade, Superstar Live Karaoke where guests sing to channel their inner rock star fronting a four-piece band, or dazzling production shows incorporating the latest special effects, nights are truly special aboard Carnival Magic.
• Carnival's Seaside Theatre: This 270-square-foot LED screen and poolside seating is the perfect spot for guests to sit back, relax and watch classic and first-run movies, sporting events, news, concerts and other programming, either during the day or night.
• Ocean Plaza: A place to see and be seen, Ocean Plaza is a stunning indoor/outdoor cafe and live entertainment venue where guests can dance to live music and enjoy specialty coffees and sweets - even freshly made milkshakes. Full bar service, specializing in martinis and mojitos, is also available.
• The Lanai: Taking the traditional cruise-ship promenade to new heights, The Lanai is a half-mile, open-air promenade encircling Promenade Deck 5. Here, guests can stroll while enjoying spectacular ocean vistas, curl up with a good book, soak up some sun in a comfortable deck chair, or relax in one of four cantilevered whirlpools that extend out over the ship's sides.
• Fun Hub: Available on any guests' Internet-connected laptop or at dozens of convenient locations throughout the ship is the Fun Hub, a social network and comprehensive shipboard intranet portal that provides access to a variety of information on Carnival Magic's services, facilities and daily activities. Carnival Magic will also offer bow-to-stern Wi-Fi and cell phone service.