Celebrating the cruise line’s Italian heritage, specialty restaurant Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria has been delighting millions of Princess Cruises guests with traditional and innovative cuisine since it first debuted aboard Grand Princess in 1998. Nearly 20 years later, Princess Cruises today unveiled a fleetwide enhancement to its signature restaurant in collaboration with acclaimed Italian Chef Angelo Auriana. Chef Auriana, Executive Chef and partner at the authentic Italian restaurants, The Factory Kitchen and Officine BRERA, in Los Angeles, is inspired by fresh Northern Italian flavors and childhood roots from his hometown of Bergamo.
Introducing a fresh new design and menu featuring antipasti and handmade pasta dishes from Chef Auriana, as well as family recipes curated from Italian Princess executive chefs across the fleet, the transformed Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria debuts aboard Caribbean Princess following a multi-million-dollar drydock. Recognized as one of the “Best Specialty Restaurants at Sea,” the Sabatini locations on Caribbean Princess and Grand Princess will offer the new inspired menu this April, with the newly refreshed menu coming across the fleet in the coming months.
“Sabatini’s has always been a Princess guest favorite and this new collaboration with Chef Auriana elevates our Italian heritage, continuing our fresh approach to authentic Italian dining,” said Mario Siebaldi, Princess Cruises senior vice president guest operations. “Also featuring a beautifully transformed ambience, the new Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria will delight new and returning guests alike.”
Chef Auriana relies on using old world grains like buckwheat and durum that gives semolina the signature pale yellow color and high-protein strength necessary to hold the shape of house made pasta. Non-traditional ingredients—like mint and marjoram—are also infused to showcase Chef Auriana’s contemporary flair.
• Picagge - marjoram-infused long pasta, white prawns, clams, artichoke pesto, ligurian olive oil“In my hometown of Bergamo, Italy, I was born with an appreciation for the beautiful flavors of Northern Italy that I love to incorporate into my cooking,” said Chef Auriana. “Now I’m pleased to share that appreciation through delicious new Sabatini’s menu items made fresh daily and served exclusively onboard Princess.”
• Tortelloni - mint-speckled pasta, roasted lamb, pecorino crosta nera, cacio e pepe sauce, broccoli rabe
• Pappardelle - wide ribbon pasta, celeriac, nebbiolo-braised beef cheek
• Risotto - vialone nano rice, beets dolce latte, gorgonzola, pistachios
• Torchietti - whole wheat pasta, foraged mushrooms, rosemary oil
More Princess chefs hail from Italy than any other country and their family favorite recipes are featured on the new menu, including:
• Roman Seafood al Cartoccio - grouper, shrimp, black mussels, scallops, potato, artichokeThe re-envisioned Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria features a new interior design that reinforces the fresh dining experiences that await guests. A contemporary look reflects the innovative efforts of the Princess culinary staff, while rustic touches serve as a reminder of the traditional Italian specialties that always have been a Sabatini’s hallmark. A superb all Italian wine menu, iconic Italian cocktails and Limoncello liqueurs are available to complement the menu. A $25 per person cover charge includes a four-course dinner, plus dessert.
• Porchetta - rolled pork belly toscana, fennel seeds, potatoes, spinach, roasted tomato
• Breaded Veal Vallet – marjoram roasted potatoes & artichokes, sun-dried tomato, provolone
Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria will soon feature pasta making classes for guests, with more details coming soon. For additional information about Princess Cruises, visit Princess.com.
Image Courtesy Princess Cruises