The rollout of the cruise line’s $500 million “Fun Ship 2.0” fleetwide enhancement program continues with New Orleans’ largest year-round cruise ship, Carnival Conquest, which has departed her homeport for a two-week dry dock in Freeport, The Bahamas. The ship, which left New Orleans last Sunday, will undergo a major multi-million-dollar refurbishment to receive upgrades in dining, bar, and entertainment features.
To celebrate, Carnival is hosting a sweepstakes via its Web site awarding one lucky winner a free Carnival Conquest cruise for two to the Caribbean. Entering the contest is easy: participants simply complete an on-line registration form at Carnival.com between Oct. 15-28, 2012, and they are automatically entered into a random drawing for the 7-day cruise. Consumers can also view a series of fun videos documenting Carnival Conquest’s refurbishment progress on the web site throughout the two-week period.
When Carnival Conquest returns to service at the Port of New Orleans Oct 28, 2012, the ship will feature a host of enhancements, including:
• RedFrog Rum Bar, an open-air Caribbean-themed watering hole offering refreshing rum-based frozen drinks and beers, including Carnival’s private label draft brew, ThirstyFrog Red, all enjoyed in a laid-back island-infused atmosphere.New entertainment offerings are also on tap. By early December, Carnival Conquest will also feature Hasbro, The Game Show and Playlist Productions. Hasbro, The Game Show makes guests the stars of the show through larger-than-life adaptations of the company’s iconic board games, while Playlist Productions is a dramatic retooling of Carnival’s legendary revues that combines captivating live performances with high-tech LED staging and special effects that set a new standard in seagoing productions.
• BlueIguana Tequila Bar, a friendly rival just across the deck from the RedFrog Rum Bar, this Mexican-themed poolside bar specializes in frozen cocktails and Mexican beers.
• Alchemy Bar, a vintage-themed cocktail “pharmacy” featuring interesting drink flavors, and ingredients, with expert mixologists who “prescribe” concoctions from different fun categories. Guests can also try their hand at creating their own custom cocktails.
• EA SPORTS Bar, the ultimate hangout for sports fanatics where patrons can view live sporting events on large-screen televisions, play popular EA SPORTS video games and keep up with the latest scores on a 24/7 sports ticker.
• Guy’s Burger Joint, created in partnership with Food Network personality and chef Guy Fieri, this complimentary poolside venue serves the best burgers at sea and hand-cut fries with innovative toppings and condiments.
• BlueIguana Cantina, a free-of-charge Mexican cantina offering a variety of fresh tacos and burritos that can be personalized by diners at an extensive salsa and toppings bar.
• The Punchliner Comedy Club & The Punchliner Comedy Brunch presented by George Lopez brings even more laughs with a lineup of comedic talent, curated by the popular comedian and TV personality, along with a humorous twist on brunch.
• Cherry on Top celebrates the joys of simple indulgences with bins of bulk candy, fun-and-fanciful gifts, just-because novelties, colorful custom apparel and more.
“The refurbishment of Carnival Conquest is the latest example of our continued investment in our New Orleans-based cruise program,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival’s president and CEO. “Carnival is New Orleans’ largest cruise operator with two year-round ships carrying nearly 340,000 passengers a year.”
In addition to Carnival Conquest, which operates 7-day Caribbean cruises, Carnival Elation offers 4- and 5-day cruises from New Orleans to Mexico.
Image Courtesy of Carnival Cruise Lines