|1965, Princess Patricia|
To mark their 50th anniversary milestone, Princess plans to make voyages particularly memorable for guests in 2015 as they treat them to these festive onboard anniversary offerings that will be introduced across the fleet early in the year:
• Love Boat Disco Deck Party: To honor the iconic role The Love Boat played in the line’s history, a Love Boat Disco Party will celebrate the program during a 70’s theme night. Movies Under the Stars will showcase video messages from the original Love Boat cast, montages from the show, a Love Boat sing-a-long and show trivia, 70’s music videos, and even a live kiss cam. The party will also feature a production number, a celebration of weddings and anniversaries of guests onboard, a photo opportunity with a Love Boat life ring, and dancing with a party band.The 50th anniversary officially kicks off with the naming ceremony of Regal Princess on Nov. 5, 2014, in Ft. Lauderdale by the original Love Boat cast members before she sets sail for her maiden season of Caribbean cruises. Some of the 50th anniversary onboard offerings will be available aboard Regal Princess beginning in November (when the Cruise Diva crew will be on board and live blogging from the ship) and then roll out to the rest of the fleet in early 2015. More information about various 50th anniversary activities, including a comprehensive historical time line and video, can be found at Princess.com/50th-anniversary.
• Festive Food: One night on every cruise, the main dining rooms will present a special souvenir menu featuring commemorative dishes from the past five decades. Known for offering great pizza at sea, Princess chefs will also introduce a variety of anniversary pizzas such as Spicy Tomato & Shrimp, Potato, Bacon & Brie and Thai.
• Chocolate Journeys: As part of the new “Chocolate Journeys” experience, master pastry chef and chocolatier Norman Love has created two special 50th anniversary desserts that will be served to guests during their cruise vacations—Chocolate Raspberry Mousse with Vanilla Crème Brulee and Crunchy Shortbread or Moist Chocolate Dome with Raspberry Crème Brulée and Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse. The two desserts will alternate from one voyage to another.
• Cheers to 50 Years: Guests can sip inventive cocktails from renowned mixologist Spike Marchant along with drinks popular through the decades—from a classic martini to a pina colada. A special half-bottle anniversary-labeled Prosecco will be offered and the new Seawitch West Coast IPA craft beer brewed especially for the 50th anniversary will be available.
• Let Us Entertain You: A 50th celebration in the signature Piazza will feature a golden balloon drop and some balloons will feature surprise giveaway items hidden inside. A special anniversary song, “Here’s to Princess,” celebrating the line’s history will be performed. Guests can compete in exciting game shows and test their knowledge with the Princess Trivia Challenge—50th Anniversary edition. Plus, on select sailings, guests can dance to the music of tribute bands—like the Beatlemaniacs—bringing the greatest hits over the decades to life.
• 50th Anniversary Décor & Guest Giveaways: Anniversary décor and signage will be displayed from the time guests arrive in the terminal (domestic home ports only) and be visible through various onboard touches, including a spectacular anniversary display cake presented in the atrium. A 50th anniversary tote bag and commemorative time line will be placed in each stateroom upon embarkation. In addition, the 50th anniversary logo will appear on stateroom key cards and on the daily Princess Patter. A series of videos will play on stateroom televisions that share the company’s history and milestone moments. Each cruise ship in the fleet will also fly a 50th anniversary flag on the bow.
• Commemorative Keepsakes: The onboard boutiques will offer limited edition merchandise and exclusive offers during the anniversary celebration. In addition, the photographers will have commemorative backdrops and folios to capture the memories of guests’ cruise vacations.
Image Courtesy of Princess Cruises