The largest ship ever constructed in Germany, Norwegian Breakaway was floated out of shipbuilder Meyer Werft’s covered building dock II yesterday morning in Papenburg, Germany where the 146,600-ton ship has been under construction since September 2011. At approximately 7 am (Germany time), the massive 4,000 passenger ship with her signature hull artwork designed by pop icon Peter Max, departed building dock II bow first—an unusual, but not unprecedented positioning. Norwegian Breakaway has an overall length of 324 meters (1,063 feet), and is 39.70 meters (130 feet) wide. The ship’s float out represents a major milestone in the vessel’s construction as it denotes that the ship has now moved into the final phase of construction with delivery taking place in just 58 days.
“Norwegian Breakaway represents a significant achievement both for Meyer Werft and Norwegian Cruise Line in terms of innovation and design,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s Chief Executive Officer. “Celebrating her float out today brings us closer to her much-anticipated delivery on April 25 when she will make her debut in Europe before arriving in her homeport of New York City on May 7. We can’t wait.”
“This new vessel is a further milestone for us. Its construction complies with the latest safety standards, and the ship meets all valid environmental regulations. Beyond that Norwegian Breakaway includes a lot of unique design elements and technical innovations,” said Bernard Meyer, Managing Partner of Meyer Werft.
Following the float out, tests were carried out in the harbor and the ship was berthed alongside the yard's outfitting pier. On March 4, the first crew members will move into their staterooms on board, and begin to familiarize themselves with the ship, readying her for guests. Norwegian Breakaway's conveyance down the river Ems towards the North Sea, where she will prove her seaworthiness, is scheduled for March 10 (weather permitting).
Norwegian Breakaway - Ready for Float Out
Float Out Norwegian Breakaway at Meyer Werft
For information on the incredible features and accommodations on Norwegian Breakaway, visit Norwegian Cruise Line’s Norwegian Breakaway micro-site and these links on the Cruise Diva Blog:
· Norwegian Cruise Line Begins “Project Breakaway” Reveal
· Norwegian Cruise Line Introduces “The Haven”
· “The Haven” by Norwegian: Posh Accommodations For Project Breakaway
· Norwegian Breaks Out More Project Breakaway Accommodations
· Innovative Spaces Planned For Norwegian’s Norwegian Breakaway
· Norwegian Breakaway Is Set To Be A Teen-Pleaser
· Dining and Entertainment Options for Norwegian Breakaway
· Norwegian Breakaway’s Hull Artwork Unveiled
· NYC’s Iconic Rockettes Named As Norwegian Breakaway Godmothers
· Norwegian Breakaway to Feature Cutting-Edge Spa & Fitness Experiences
· Norwegian Breakaway to Put NYC on Ice
· Norwegian Breakaway will Light Up the Night with Fireworks Shows
· Norwegian Breakaway Gets A New “Boss”
Images Courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Line